Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard
Link copied to clipboard

Super Bowl security will feature increased law enforcement presence in New Orleans following New Year’s Day attack on Bourbon Street

The most visible security attendees for the Eagles-Chiefs matchup will see is an increased law enforcement presence around the Caesars Superdome and related NFL events.

Football fans attending the Super Bowl should expect to see increased security in New Orleans in the wake of the New Year’s Day Bourbon Street terrorist attack in which 14 people were killed, the NFL’s top security official said.

“I feel very confident that we’re going to the Super Bowl in an environment that people are going to feel comfortable, they’re going to feel safe, and they’re going to enjoy” the game, Cathy Lanier, the league’s chief security officer, said at a Wednesday news conference.

The most visible security attendees will see is an increased law enforcement presence around the Caesars Superdome and related NFL events in the city, as well as security perimeters with additional protection measures, Lanier said. Across the days leading up to and including the Super Bowl, in which the Eagles will face off against the Kansas City Chiefs, Lanier expects thousands of law enforcement officers to be on hand to provide event security.

League officials asked for and received additional law enforcement support following the Jan. 1 attack, and “polished up” their intelligence information-sharing plan with state, local, and federal partners, Lanier added. Work on security plans had already been underway for nearly two years, and officials remain prepared to make additional changes as the big game approaches.

“Should something change between now and the Super Bowl, that’s kind of our job to be flexible and ready to make changes as needed,” Lanier said. “We feel very comfortable where we are, but if we need to make more changes between now and Super Bowl day, we will.”

The Super Bowl is classified by the Department of Homeland Security as a Special Event Assessment Rating Level 1 event, which requires “comprehensive” security planning, Lanier said. Events of that level are considered to have significant national or international importance, and require substantial interagency coordination — as well as continual review of security plans, Lanier said.

Additionally, the NFL has supplied secured training for thousands of employees working in and around the Super Bowl and related events that encourages workers to report suspicious activity. That approach, Lanier said, is the “cornerstone of a good, solid security plan.”

While Lanier declined to discuss specific security measures, she noted that the NFL has not received any specific or credible threats regarding the Super Bowl.

Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry, meanwhile, issued an executive order Wednesday that amended a state of emergency established following the New Year’s Day attack that will enhance security in the city’s French Quarter ahead of the Super Bowl.

Security efforts in that area include the installation of barriers and wedges to block traffic, with checkpoints set up along Bourbon Street, according to local ABC affiliate WGNO. Coolers and ice chests will not be allowed in security zones, and law enforcement will search bags and containers larger than 4½ inches by 6½ inches.

At a Wednesday news conference, Landry said that individuals can decline searches, but that doing so will exclude them from entering secure zones. Items such as backpacks, rolling suitcases, and fanny packs are discouraged.

“Super Bowl LIX is the perfect opportunity to showcase New Orleans as the world-class city it is,” Landry said in a statement. “In order to do this, we must prioritize the safety of every single visitor and resident in the city.”